Depression, and What You Can Do About It
Although one in every five Australians will suffer from significant levels of depression, only half of them will actually seek appropriate treatment – often because they believe they’re “just feeling down,” or “having a bad day.”
Unfortunately, without treatment, clinical depression often doesn’t go away on its own. If you’ve experienced prolonged bouts of sadness or hopelessness, or you’ve found that you simply don’t enjoy life like you used to, you may be experiencing depression.
To correctly identify depression, and then work toward improved mental health, it is important to first answer the question, “What exactly is depression?”
Depression – A mental state in which a person feels sad, down, and helpless for a prolonged period of time
People with major depressive disorders may experience some or all of the following symptoms on a regular basis – often nearly every day:
- Depressed mood/feelings
- Markedly diminished interest or pleasure in all (or almost all) activities
- Significant weight loss when not dieting
- Significant weight gain
- Insomnia or excessive sleeping (hypersomnia)
- Feeling “fidgety” or in “slow motion”
- Fatigue or loss of energy
- Feelings of worthlessness, or excessive and/or inappropriate guilt
- Diminished ability to think or concentrate, or indecisiveness
- Recurrent thoughts of death or thoughts of suicide, without a specific plan, or a suicide attempt or a specific plan for committing suicide
If you are experiencing one or more of these symptoms, you may wish to consider seeking professional treatment from a qualified psychologist. They can use several different types of therapy to help you begin the process of attaining more positive and balanced overall mental health and happiness.
Aspire Health & Psychology is a professional psychological service located in Newport Victoria, Australia. The psychologists at Aspire Health & Psychology provide most kinds of popular psychological therapies, such as Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), Solution Focused Therapy, Experiential Methods, Psychoanalysis and Mindfulness Based Therapy, in order to deliver better health to their clients.
You can find Aspire Health & Psychology just 15 minutes from the Melbourne CBD at 461 Melbourne Road, Newport, Victoria and by phone on (03) 9391 9866.